Annually, the National Hispana Leadership Institute (NHLI) recognizes one recipient for the National Award and one for the Regional Award. The National Award will honor the sustained lifetime achievement of a Latina who has made a significant contribution to the empowerment and well-being of the Hispanic community at the national level. The Regional Award will honor a Latina who has had an impact in her community with dedication and leadership. The award will bring national attention to the recipient's regional work.
The 2011 Mujer Awards recipients for the National Award was Maria Contreras- Sweet, Founder of ProMerica Bank, and the 2011 recipient of the Regional Award was the Honorary Gloria Molina, County Supervisor for the Los Angeles County Board of Supervisors and Lillian Roybal Rose, (you need to get her title from Victoria) we had 2 regional awardees last year.
The Mujer Awards
Since 1993, NHLI´s Annual Mujer Awards have recognized the lifetime achievements of Hispanic women who have served their communities and acted with justice, love, and the deepest of pride in their culture. The Mujer Awardees embodies the values and philosophy of NHLI as stated in the eligibility criteria.
- She is a living symbol of NHLI's philosophy "creating positive change through personal integrity and ethical leadership."
- Throughout her life, she has sustained a clear vision for the future of the Hispanic community and her life has consistently reflected that vision.
- Undaunted by difficulties, she has been faithful to herself and her beliefs and has acted with integrity.
- Through the years, she has evolved with the times and has maintained herself grounded in the present social, economic and political environment.
- She is a collaborative leader who inspires and motivates others and gets the goal accomplished.
- She understands her personal power and shares it easily with those whose lives she has touched. She values life, maintains joy, kindness, calmness and inner peace.
- This woman has empowered many others over the years through her service. She has acted with justice and deep pride in her culture.
Award Ceremony: The Mujer Awards Gala will be held on December 11, 2012 in Washington, DC.
Nomination Period: May 23- June 30, 2012
Nominations are open to the public.
About National Hispana Leadership Institute
Founded in 1987, NHLI is the nation´s premiere training institution exclusively dedicated to Latina leadership training. Celebrating its 25th Anniversary, NHLI has developed into a major success story and has become a key player in forging leaders serving America today.